While there are only few fake coins in the market, there is still a chance that you will be able to purchase one. This can get you in trouble. That is why you have to do a lot of investigating before looking for that valuable piece for your collection.
It is important that you take precautionary measures to ensure that you are purchasing genuine coins. If you come across with a Shermans March 1864 coin bronze online, see to it that it is not a phony. Verify and check if the dealer is reliable.
Here are other valuable tips to ensure that you do not buy bogus coins:
1. Research about the item you wish to buy. This will give you an idea of its real worth. It will also aid you in negotiating the price of the coin. Gather all information you can about the coin, how it looks, and where to find one. This will save you time and effort from checking out local stores.
2. Purchase them from reliable sources. This is one of the best ways to acquire a genuine piece. Do not rely so much on grade service holder because they might have gotten a phony without realizing it. See to it that you transact only with trustworthy dealers, they will not risk their reputation by acquiring a fake coin. Surely, they will see to it that they only have nothing but the genuine pieces.
3. Learn how to spot the real coins from the fake ones. It takes time and experience to be able to master how to spot the real one from the counterfeit. You have to be careful with handling the coins while examining it as well. Remember, touching its face can cause its value to go down if it is the real thing. Check the appearance; see if it is dull or overly shiny. Feel its weight as well; if it is lighter, then the fraudsters most likely used a different material. Listen to the clink it creates against other coins as well. Familiarizing the differences will surely help you in distinguishing the real from the fake.
4. The dealer should give a guarantee that the coin is real. A certificate of authenticity from the dealer will prove that the coin is indeed genuine. Without this, do not purchase the coin. Do not agree to a verbal assurance either. See to it that you have a proof that tells you it is real. Ask for it from reliable sources, even if you are purchasing from the likes of Edgewood coin.
5. If the value is less than what you expected, then it is probably a fake. This is why you conducted research in the first place. You want to know the real value of the coins. If it not even close to the price you expect, then it is not probably real. Do not think that you will generate something good from the transaction.
Although it is less likely for you to encounter fake coins in the market, do not be complacent. It pays to do your homework and learn how to identify the real from the fake.
The author is a coin collector enthusiast. For more great information on Coin Collecting, visit
http://www.HiddenCoinTreasures.com and receive your free 10 day mini eCourse just for visiting the website.