A crucial tip to remember every now and then is that people visit the site checking out for some info. These Surfers can be an unforgiving lot. Once they found things useful for them in a site they would definitely visit every now and then.
The reason why site maps are indispensable is due to its helpfulness in chartering the surfers understand the site program and plan and therefore, speed up the way to onset to what the site will be showcasing. This is a part of the website created where the edifice of a web site can be visible to a surfer or visitant. These visitors can choose the link to where they want to surf with just a touch of the mouse of keyboard.
Here are crucial key pointers of a beneficial site map, which helps visitors at finding info faster on a web site:
* The site map should be the simplest page throughout the web site.
* Keep the name “Site Map” so those visitors won’t be having a hard time looking for it?
* Always avoid “dynamic” site maps. Those in which the visitors have to acknowledge their way easily to get hold of info.
* If the site map is list of text links, use the TITLE attribute of the anchor tag and include keywords inside it.
* Putting a sentence describing the page contents beneath the link for that page during a site map is always good.
* It should not be the primary navigation on the web site it should complement it.
* It is very significant that there is a link to the site map page and all pages should carry this link. The site map link can be combined with other links in the main menu on the web site or laid at a section throughout the web page from which is it clearly seen.
* Other crucial components on a web site should complement site maps. For example, the link colour for visited links should be different from that of not yet visited links so that visitors have a clear idea which pages they have already seen and thus, save time.
In addition to the advantages a site map showcase to “living” surfers, it is also crucial for robot surfers from search engines. As a web developer should be aiming to get all visible pages throughout the web site found in the search engine database. As expected a site map, from one page to another, should carry links to all, it is an idealistic form to submit to search engines. Submission of the site map to a search engine might aid in getting all web pages indexed speedily by the search engine. I may be incorrect since I have no data to support this stage but it just seems logical.
However, during a similar note, there is still a limit to all the information that a search engine could provide a visitant. For example, whenever there’s a page which is not found in the directory program of the web site, it will not be detected other search engines. With this in mind, another importance of a site map it tells the search engine immediately to go to a specific page rather than scouting through the links.
Two important questions:
1. Will the website appear as it was designed even for robots?
2. Are the pages exact and effectively designed?
Having a site map assists the creator in planning the site before he can even start creating it. Once the pages have been decided, the whole thing becomes simpler and the web pages designs are easily matched to the creator’s ideas.
There are 5 crucial tips in making a good site map:
Good Site Must-Have 1
The logo should be linked to the website homepage.
Good Site Must-Have 2
The Site map must be place either during top or during the upper left, under the header. Unless everything’s in prescribe already and sure about the design, never try to alter or make changes for a while.
Good Site Must-Have 3
There must be a congenial way to go around searching the web site. Do not place the site map in a location that is different from one page to another, like whenever it is placed horizontally during one page, it should be placed horizontally on the rest of the other pages. However, the case is different when it is a navigation system for a homepage. This could differ in homepages.
Good Site Must-Have 4
Additionally, the logo of the homepage should be linked with a ‘HOME’ or any equivalent sign for easy work roughly or navigation. There should also be a ‘contact us,’ ‘about our site,’ pages to be visited.
Good Site Must-Have 5
The golden rule for a beneficial site map is that the number of a visitor’s clicks should be leading him every step of the way and not jumping to other pages. It is needed that the move should be as easy, reliable and above all, very user-friendly.
Uchenna Ani-Okoye is an internet marketing advisor
For further reading please check out: Affiliate Marketing Tips